I think we can all agree that 2020 was a sh!t show of a year. My ex has his birthday on April 1st and mine is April 30th. So he always got the first two weeks of April to celebrate and I got the last two weeks. However, due to COVID 19 in 2020, we went to full lock down, quarantine mode just a few weeks before our birthday months started. We knew celebrating our special days would look a lot different.
I also knew back in February that we were heading for divorce, and everything from Valentine’s Day until my birthday was an act, all for show. We “tried” and did our best to remain cordial, but it just seemed forced and fake. My birthday came and went with a card and some cupcakes. Honestly, it didn’t seem like much thought or effort went into it at all. Then right after my birthday passed, in early May, we agreed to divorce.
So needless to say my birthday last year SUCKED and in a major way. So I decided, this year, now that I’m single, I will take the whole month of April to celebrate me. I hate to sound selfish here, but it’s ME, ME, ME! Which got me thinking, I don’t need a big party, or to spend lots of money on things I don’t need. So how could I celebrate ME in small, special ways?
So I came up with this list, and hope you can find on a few things on here to use to celebrate YOU, whether it’s your special month or not! Now, I’m a Francophile (which means I’m obsessed with everything French), so I typically celebrate around my birthday month with a lot of gorgeous, little French things: books, skincare, fragrances, etc. So you will see some of that reflected in this list. But by all means, change it up as you see fit for yourself. Not into French books, maybe choose ones set in Italy, or the UK. You get the idea!
- Treat Yo Self! – treat yourself with a little self care like a manicure, pedicure, facial, massage or even a new fragrance or outfit.
- Surround Yourself with Beauty – for me that is buying fresh flowers to have in my house. I just love seeing a small bouquet of some of my favorite flowers like peonies sitting on the coffee table. Just the sight and smell of them makes me feel more joyful! Ditto for anything that makes your environment more beautiful: lovely candles, cozy blankets, etc.
- Escape to Another Country – while the end of COVID looks like it is near, we are still not fully able to travel as we would love. So escape to another country through books. I typically read one book a week and they are mostly non-fiction. However, during my birthday month I like to read cute little stories that take place in France. So I have a few books lined up for this month to transport me to France, even for a little bit and if its only between the pages of a book, I can escape.
- MOVE! – not like to another city or state but move your body. Although, if I could move to France, I would in heartbeat. Celebrate all of yourself by treating your body to some movement. For me that is taking long walks in the gorgeous Spring weather and going to a yoga class here and there. Nothing makes me feel more JOY that when I move and celebrate my body.
- Cook or bake – I have decided I’m going to try making some classic French dishes this month to not only have some fun but to experience some of my favorite cuisines at home. I usually go to Monsieur Paul at Epcot for my birthday, but the gourmet French restaurant is still closed. So I’m going to attempt my own gourmet French meal at home. I’m thinking dishes like ratatouille, a tarte tatin, Beef Bourguignon, and an almond gateau breton. Not into French food? Pick your favorite county and attempt some of their classic dishes!
- Movie Marathon – take a day to just veg on the couch and watch all your favorite films! For me that would be Marie Antoinette, Pretty in Pink, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
- Goal Setting – since my birthday falls towards the middle of the year (sort of!) I take it as a time to reevaluate the goals I might have set at the first of the year. Also, our birthdays are in in their own way, a new year. So take some time to reevaluate your goals, set new ones, and see what you hope to accomplish in your next big turn around the sun on this big blue marble.
- Explore Your City – while most of us are only slowly starting to see our cities open up after being in lock down, it can be fun to explore your city. Go visit a museum in your city you’ve never been to, try that new cafe on the corner, or take a walk around a local park. You will be surprised at how joyful experiencing new things in your own city can be.
- Bible Study – take some time to read the good world of GOD. Reading bible verses can be very uplifting for me and make me feel a part of something bigger than myself. And I always find a message that fits into what is currently going on in my life. I actually get a lot of useful insight when I read the bible.
- Volunteer/Be of Service to Others – I know the point of this post was to focus on celebrating ourselves, but we must remember to not let our self-care become selfish. Nothing can make us feel better about ourselves than when we do something, no matter how small it is, for others. Take some time during your birthday month to be in service to others. Volunteer, donate, everyday ask the lord how you can be a blessing to others and then do that. Even the smallest things we can do for someone else can make a huge difference in their day.
Here just a few other ways I plan on celebrating this month: a good bottle of champagne, some French macarons, and getting a new tattoo to celebrate my birthday.
Life is a gift! Be grateful for another year you have on this planet.
You are a gift. Celebrate YOU!